Curtain Grommets – Installation, Colors and Materials
Curtain grommets help to reinforce the holes made at the top of curtains that are made for a curtain rod and prevent the fabric from fraying. They add a decorative and attractive touch to ordinary curtains while adding strength to the parts of your curtains that take a lot of wear and tear over time. Curtain grommets come in many different sizes, colors, and materials to match your decor.
Adding Curtain Grommets to Your Curtains
There is no tool necessary when installing, all you will need is a pair of scissors and some way of measuring the fabric to be cut, though some brands, such as Dritz Curtain Grommets, come with templates to cut from.
- Measure the space where you want to hang your curtain. A good rule of thumb when buying fabric is to use twice the width of the window. Decide how many grommets are needed to create the desired look.
- Mark the center of the area for the grommets along the top. Allow for at least 2 inches of fabric above the grommet. Be sure to place one at either edge, and evenly space them along the middle.
- Place the center of your template over each mark and use a pencil or marker to mark the area to cut.
- Cut along your circle. The cuts don't have to be perfect as your grommet will cover them.
- Place the grommet piece with the lines around the inside underneath your fabric, with the raised center along the inside of your cut circle.
- Take the grommet piece with spikes inside and line the inside up with your cut circle and the raised edge of your bottom grommet.
- Press down on the top evenly to secure the grommet.
- Repeat for each mark on your curtain.
Curtain Grommet Materials and Styles
Curtain grommets come in many different colors and materials including:
- Metallic-- Brass, Gold, Nickel, Copper, Bronze, and Silver
- Gold curtain grommets can even come in a brushed metal or matte look.
- Plastic-- Black, White, Red, Fuschia, Green, and Yellow. Plastic grommets are a true, shiny plastic material.
- Matte black grommets can also be purchased.
- There are many other multi-colored choices as well such as redwood, camo, and marble.
Curtain Grommet Manufacturers
Project Ideas with Curtain Grommets
Curtain Grommets don't have to be used only when installing curtains, here are some more ideas that use curtain grommets
- Use curtain grommets to reinforce a purse handle instead of sewing it on.
- Place around the hem of a skirt for a unique, young look.
- Use 3/8" curtain grommets to decorate a belt.
For a great bracelet to make using grommets, visit ThinkCrafts.com!
Save and Share